Elly In Love

Elly In Love - Colleen Oakes 3.5 star read

Eleanor "Elly" Jordan is a successful small business owner. Last year she had to design the flowers for her ex-husband's wedding to his mistress. She kind of fell in love with her neighbor, an up-and-coming musician only to break things off with him before taking their relationship to the next level. She's learned to love her employees, especially Snarky Teenager, and considers them her extended family. Now she must decide if she can take her business to the next level and open a branch as well as allow Snarky Teenager to manage the new branch store. If that isn't enough to take into consideration, she's realized that she's in love with Keith the deli owner, and she's been contacted by a relative she never knew she had. And just to truly cap things off, she's been given the opportunity to be the florist for a celebrity wedding on a wedding reality show. Last year pales in comparison with all Elly has to deal with this year. Can she deal with the stress of a new family member, allowing her relationship with Keith to grow even though she feels he's keeping secrets from her, trust that Snarky Teenager can be relied upon with the new storefront, and handle the pressure of designing flowers for a reality television show? Only time will tell . . .

I'm the type of reader that has to read all of the books in a series before reading the book I need to review. So I spent a glorious Saturday afternoon and evening reading Elly In Bloom then Elly In Love. I found both to be delightful, heart-warming, and fast-paced reads. It may not be necessary to read Elly In Bloom before reading Elly In Love, but it definitely helped with understanding the trials Elly has dealt with over the past few years. First her mother dies, then she catches her husband in flagrante delicto with his mistress in their marital bed, she leaves her hometown and state to wind up in Missouri and opens a floral business. Posies is not just any floral business but one that specializes in weddings. It is a small boutique florist and Elly only has a handful of employees: her best friend and fellow floral designer - Kim, her part-time worker/high-school student - Snarky Teenager (her actual name is never revealed), and her latest hire, Anthony. These four artistic and creative people comprise the Posies workforce and they do a darn good job, small or large. Now that Elly's business has become famous, Posies is the "it" florist for the Missouri elite. Although business is booming, Elly's life is still in upheaval. She loves Keith but knows he's hiding something and she can't let the relationship develop any further until he stops being secretive.

Ms. Oakes has done a wonderful job of pulling the reader into Elly's world, or at least she did with this reader. I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next with Elly, Keith, and Snarky Teenager. I found the stories to have just the right amount of romance, touches of humor, and angst (teenage and adult) to make it realistic. We're given glimpses into the lives and backgrounds of Kim, Dennis (Elly's half-brother), Keith, and Snarky Teenager. Those glimpses are just enough to make their interactions and behavior realistic and compelling. It was nice to read about someone that has everything going for them and yet they still have doubts and concerns about doing the right thing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Elly in Love and can't wait for the next book in this series, Elly Inspired.