The Murder Farm

The Murder Farm - Andrea Maria Schenkel 3.5 star read

In post-war Germany, a small rural village has made a horrific discovery. A local family has been viciously murdered on their family farm. When The Murder Farm begins that is all the reader knows, that an entire family has been murdered. Obviously the question on everyone's mind is who did it? But as the story develops it soon becomes clear that it is easily understandable that someone might want to kill Mr. Danner, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to kill the wife, daughter, grandchildren, and servant.

The Murder Farm is the first book I've read by Ms. Schenkel and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The title pretty much tells the story, or so I thought. The "truth" is revealed in a very unusual manner through eyewitness narrative, villager interviews, as well as police case files. Just when you think you know where the story is going, Ms. Schenkel provides a nice twist just to keep you guessing. I found The Murder Farm to be a very fast and enjoyable read simply because I was pulled into the drama and couldn't wait to find out who did it and why. I especially enjoyed reading villagers interviews. The villagers provided insight into the character and inner-dynamics of the Danner family. The Murder Farm could have been a dry police procedural with the introduction of the case files, interviews, and narrative, but Ms. Schenkel has created a story of murder that literally comes alive and kept this reader's attention from beginning to end. If you enjoy a good murder mystery then you'll definitely want to add The Murder Farm to your reading list.