The Silent Girl

The Silent Girl - Tess Gerritsen There are a few authors (okay does 25 count as a few) that I try to read on a regular basis. I've read most of these authors previous writings and greatly look forward to new books, Tess Gerritsen is one such author. I recently had the opportunity to read The Silent Girl and am I glad I did.

The Silent Girl is another story in the Rizzoli & Isles series, one series that I follow (sorry I don't watch the TV show but I'm diligent about reading the books). This was a little different or at least it felt different for me. Perhaps it’s because Jane and Maura are moving on with their lives and even though they work in fields that are closely aligned, they are growing apart in this stage of their friendship. Of course it might have something to do with Dr. Isles testifying against a police officer responsible for killing (subduing) a prisoner that was responsible for another police officer's death. Maura knows that she did the right thing with her testimony, after all she only provided the facts. But not many police officers see it the same way so she has become persona non grata by most police officers. The first time this happens is when she is called out because a severed hand was found along with a nearly decapitated body. Evidence leads to a retired Boston PD detective, a martial arts school, and reveals that the body was injured with a sword. The link is a 19-year-old Chinatown murder-suicide case. As Jane, her partner Frost, and newcomer Tam, investigate further they realize that this particular case may not have been solved and perhaps wasn't as cut-and-dry as it initially appeared. Did the accused murderer, Mr. Wu, really commit these crimes before killing himself? What was the motive? And what exactly does the Chinatown murder case have to do with the disappearance of two teenage girls?

There are minor storylines that appear throughout, such as Maura's ability to see things as black and white when the police department wants shades of grey, or Jane's family's reaction to her mother's engagement. Ms. Gerritsen has provided a tale that is intriguing and alien. She brings in ancient Chinese myths, tales and legends into a current homicide and makes it work. Her characters are strangely exotic and unique but wholly believable. This may not be a traditional mystery/suspense thriller but it works and works quite well.