The Perfect Stranger

The Perfect Stranger - Wendy Corsi Staub 3.5 star read

Five women from different parts of the country become online friends. All have had the same diagnosis -- breast cancer. All five women choose the same path to deal with their diagnosis and treatment -- blogging. Now one woman, Meredith, is found murdered in her home and her friends wonder if it's possible this was random or if she was targeted because of her blog. The Perfect Stranger asks the questions: is it possible to really know people that you only interact with online and to reveal too much personal information online?

I read, okay I devoured, The Perfect Stranger in one afternoon. Ms. Staub carefully presents each woman as they mourn the loss of their friend: Landry is a forty-something wife and mother from Alabama, Kay is a middle-aged unemployed loner in Indiana, Elena is a thirty-something single schoolteacher in Massachusetts, and Jaycee is an unknown quantity possibly from New York. The search for the truth is interspersed with tidbits from each person's blog, intimate details of their lives, and the thoughts of the killer. The swing between characters, blog posts, and the search for the murderer kept me just a little off-balance until the very end. The Perfect Stranger is a great mystery-suspense read because just when you think you know who it is the story twists and sends you off in a new direction. I found The Perfect Stranger to be a fast-paced and engrossing read. If you're looking for a mystery-suspense story with compelling characters and action, then you'll definitely want to add The Perfect Stranger to your TBR list. (Beware, after reading this story you may never want to go online again.) Make sure you add the prequel e-novella Cold Hearted to your list and read it first.