MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend

MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend - Rachel Bertsche For many people, male or female, it is difficult to acclimate in a new city or state especially when you don't know anyone other than your spouse, their co-workers and your co-workers. Some people are able to establish friendships with co-workers that exist outside of the workplace, and others simply can't because there are no common interests. Some people find new friends with common interests at book clubs, exercise classes, cooking classes or even at places of worship. Rachel tries many of these tactics and more in her search for a new BFF.

Rachel isn't a needy, clingy woman that relies on her husband as her sole contact outside of work. She has a full life with friends, family and often traveled out-of-state to weddings, etc. keeping in contact. But we all crave someone to hang out with on the weekends, call when we're having difficulties at home or work, shop with, etc. Rachel's friend-dates are her attempts to find this person in her new hometown. She "dates" women that she may have overlooked because they were older, different ethnicities, or simply different. She is highly descriptive in describing these dates and her expectations.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I began reading MWF Seeking BFF simply because I'm not a memoir reader. However I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, although it did seem to drag a little in the middle sections. I don't know if I could have the chutzpah to put myself out there as Rachel did when she moved, but I can understand her goal and rationale. This book provides a glimpse into why friends are necessary in order to be a well-rounded person, in addition to providing a glimpse into Rachel’s quest for a new BFF. (Couples with close friends apparently do better than couples without close friends according to one quoted sociology study.) If you enjoy memoirs with a humorous bent then MWF Seeking BFF may be just the book for you.