Merciless

Merciless - Diana Palmer Can you keep a secret? Are you willing to lie in order to maintain that secret? Joceline Perry must do just that in order to protect her secrets in Merciless by Diana Palmer.

Joceline works as an administrative assistant at the FBI and is a single mom. Her boss is Jon Blackhawk, an FBI agent, lawyer, and handsome and wealthy young man. Jon knows that he'd be lost without Joceline's assistance and their work relationship is a strange dance in comraderie and teasing. Joceline does her best to protect Jon from his mother's matchmaking and keep him on schedule and well-informed on his cases. Things are going reasonably well for both until a bad guy is released on bail. This is unfortunate because this particular bad guy was arrested for participating in the murder of Jon's sister-in-law and niece a few years ago. Of course the bad guy has threated Jon's life and now Jon winds up being shot. Of course the bad guy threatens Jon's family and co-workers so Joceline and her son must be protected. And of course, nothing remains a secret forever.

Regrettably I must be a little "merciless" about Merciless. The story was somewhat formulaic and nothing that happened was really a surprise. I didn't like the wealthy boss and penniless and subservient but hardworking worker scheme and felt it was overdone (perhaps my cynicism is showing). Having said that...if you prefer a light, romantic HEA quick read then Merciless may work for you.