Heart of Evil

Heart of Evil - Heather Graham What do an old Louisiana plantation, a civil war re-enactment and things that go bump in the night have in common? These are all elements in the second Krewe of Hunters book HEART OF EVIL by Heather Graham. (Yes I know I read the books out of sequence, but it didn't seem to make that much of a difference.)

Ashley Donegal is the co-owner/operator of a hotel in her family's plantation home. During a Civil War re-enactment a man is murdered. It just so happens that this particular man was portraying her forefather, Marshall Donegal, and the body is left in the family cemetery. Ashley's grandfather is concerned, seeks some favors from old friends, and before you know the Krewe of Hunters is on the scene to help with the investigation. The first to arrive on the scene is Jake Mallory, an old Donegal family friend and ex-lover to Ashley. What follows is an investigation into the past and present with a little help from some family ghosts.

I rather liked the incorporation of past with the present in terms of the Donegal family history. Sorry to say but that was about all I really liked from this particular story. The characters seemed to be a bit flat, most of the action was expected, and even the romance seemed forced. I sadly found the ghosts to be more entertaining than anyone else. This particular series seems to be a hit-or-miss combo for me, as I found book one - PHANTOM EVIL to be an okay read, book three - SACRED EVIL to be a good read, and now book two - HEART OF EVIL back to being an okay read.