Flowers for Her Grave

Flowers for Her Grave - Judy Clemens I read, I smiled, I laughed, and I truly enjoyed this book. Although this is part of the Grim Reaper series by Judy Clemens, it is the first book in this series that I've read. It is also the first book from a series that I've read that didn't leave me feeling as if I had to read the previous books in order to understand what was happening (although I do feel that I will be reading them just becuse I enjoyed this one so much). It took a little bit of getting used to someone, namely Casey Maldonado, having "death" or a grim reaper as a companion, but L'Ankou is part of what makes this mystery so light-hearted and fun.

Casey is still dealing with the grief of losing her son and husband in a car accident, not to mention severe albeit superficial injuries from a recent fight. She is trained in hapkido, a form of martial arts, as well as being an athletic trainer. We meet her and L'Ankou as they are travelling on a boxcar running away from Kansas. It appears that she previously was running away from Ohio, the scene of her husband and son's death, and from being a murder suspect. Her travels take her to Raceda, Florida where she starts work at an apartment/condo complex as a fitness instructor/athletic trainer. Needless to say that trouble is not far behind. Casey, now known as Daisy, discovers a badly injured woman who subsequently dies. Of course she must investigate and quickly jumps to all the wrong conclusions. What is interesting is the often comedic and quirky changes that L'Ankou makes. When he is around a police officer, he dresses as one with a name tag to fit. He also dresses in a kimono upon learning that Casey/Daisy has been invited to a Japanese restaurant. Most people don't see Casey's companion but a few, those that don't fear death, are capable of seeing him. This makes for interesting exchanges as Casey apparently must speak aloud to respond to L'Ankou and others can't see him and presume she is speaking to them or that she's just crazy.

I think quirky is the correct word to use in describing this book. Ms. Clemens has created characters that are realistic and all-too humans with their faults. L'Ankou, although not human, seems to have just as much to offer as his human companion and it this relationship that makes this book work. Casey needs L'Ankou as much as he seems to need her. She needs the connection to her deceased husband and son and L'Ankou needs to live vicariously through someone that can see him, interact with him and accept him for what he is...death.

Look for this title to be released in early August.

An advanced reader copy of this book was made available through netGalley and Poisoned Pen Press, Inc. I thank them both for this opportunity.