TurboCharged: Accelerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust - Dian Griesel, Tom Griesel I don't think that this book qualifies as a diet book per se. The authors present their philosophy or method towards weight loss. They do present dietary guidelines, but insist that they don't focus on caloric restrictions and exercise regimes. Their approach is basically an eight step approach to achieving weight loss and boosting the metabolism or "turbocharging" the body.

I have problems with this approach for numerous reasons. First the authors presume that everyone that is obese or overweight is eating as much as 3500 calories each day. I know many overweight people that consume less than 1800 calories each day (possibly eating the wrong things but definitely not more than 2000 calories) and they aren't losing the weight. Second they state that anyone can do their program even those that are bedridden. Since one of their eight steps includes daily mini-activity sessions (i.e., exercise) that are based on lunges, body weight squats, standing heel raises, etc., I don't see how people that are either paraplegics or bedridden could possibly commit to this system. In addition, the authors state that this isn't based on calories and one need not count calories but the book later states that you'll need to consume 300-800 calories on the "expressway days." This is definitely caloric restriction.

This book is written in a way to attract and keep the readers' attention. It is definitely written in a way that is easy to understand. I don't necessarily disagree with many of the premises that the authors put forth in this book. I just challenge the premise that it can and will work for everyone. I don't feel that any one diet will work for everyone (if there were only one then there would be no more need for books, gyms, etc.) but if this does, then great!. For those people that can commit to the food restrictions (no grains or breakfast allowed), daily mini-activity sessions, and temporary caloric restriction days, then this may be the program for you. For the rest of us, this may not be the answer.

I received this book for free from the publisher for review purposes.